Early Childhood Education
The Joseph B. Whitehead Foundation believes that quality early childhood education helps lay the foundation for children’s future success. It primarily invests in early learning through Smart Start at the United Way of Greater Atlanta, which works to improve the quality and accessibility of care and education for children ages birth through five.
- United Way of Greater Atlanta’s Smart Start initiative, with a focus on school readiness, professional development for teachers, quality improvements and expanded access to early childhood education
- Implementation of the state’s Quality Rated system
- Initiatives focused on early language and literacy to ensure children are reading on grade level by third grade
What We Do Not Fund
- Organizations outside of metro Atlanta
- Individual early childhood education programs or centers