How to Apply
The Joseph B. Whitehead Foundation is an independent private foundation that seeks to help people in need in metro Atlanta, particularly children, by investing in education, health and economic opportunity.
EligibilityYour organization may be eligible for a grant if it:
- Is a 501(c)(3) public charity
- Is located or operating in metro Atlanta, as defined by the United Way of Greater Atlanta to include Butts, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale counties
- Aligns with the Foundation’s program interests in Early Childhood Education, K-12 Education, Children & Youth, Human Services or Health
Application DeadlinesThe Foundation encourages you to submit grant proposals before the deadlines listed below.
- February 1 – Proposals received by February 1 will be considered at the April meeting of our Board of Trustees.
- August 15 – Proposals received by August 15 will be considered at the November meeting of our Board of Trustees.
- Review our grantmaking guidelines and program interests. We encourage you to submit an informal inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if you should apply for a grant.
Because the Whitehead Foundation shares an office and staff with the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation, Lettie Pate Evans Foundation and Lettie Pate Whitehead Foundation, your request may also be considered by one of these foundations. You do not need to submit separate grant proposals to these foundations.
- Prepare a proposal in the form of a letter that briefly describes the organization (its mission, history and programs) and the proposed project or initiative, including the challenge it addresses, project goals and/or expected outcomes. Proposals that are concise and to the point are preferred. Please also include these attachments:
- Itemized project budget, including all major categories of expense. If personnel expense is part of your project budget, please indicate the number of staff.
- Operating budget, including budgeted and actual amounts for all major income and expense categories for your current fiscal year.
- Fundraising status report, including all sources of support in hand or anticipated. Please include totals.
- Board list, including name, title and professional affiliation for each member. Please note officers and include an address for your board chair.
- Financial statements, including most recent audit report.
- Current IRS determination letter.
- Send the letter and appropriate attachments to the attention of P. Russell Hardin, President, at Joseph B. Whitehead Foundation, 191 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 3540, Atlanta, GA 30303.
- If your proposal is clearly not within the giving interests of the Foundation, we will notify you promptly.
- If your proposal is accepted for consideration at the next meeting of our Board of Trustees, you may be contacted by Foundation staff for a meeting or a visit.
- The Foundation will notify you of its decision within one week of our Board of Trustees meeting.